If you’ve never taken Kratom before, it’s likely you have a lot of questions.
And, it’s likely you’ve done at least some research about Kratom before coming to Kratom Gator.
Wherever you are on your journey, we’d like to help by providing you with some information, tools, and techniques that will aid you on your way. By educating yourself on the origins, safety, dosages, strains characteristics, and other facts about Kratom, you’ll be ensuring that your Kratom experience is as positive as possible.
Kratom Gator supplies some of the finest, most potent, and most consistent Kratom to be found anywhere, and the only thing we’re more passionate about than Kratom is helping others learn how best to use it to enhance their lives.
So…what exactly is Kratom? Where does it come from? What is it used for? Is it dangerous?
All of these questions make perfect sense to ask. Let’s bone up on our Kratom history before we move into formats, dosages, and effects.
The Prize of Southeast Asia
Kratom (taxonomically referred to as Mitragyna Speciosa) is a species of tall, broad-leafed tree that grows natively in places like Thailand, Myanmar, and Malaysia. This tree has been cultivated and harvested by indegenous peoples for centuries, and it’s only within the past 10-15 years that Kratom has experienced a surge in popularity here in the West.
Most commonly, the leaves of the Kratom tree are picked during a specific time in the tree’s maturity. Then, they are processed using one of many different drying and packaging techniques.
[Kratom Gator’s Fun Kratom Fact: The way in which the Kratom plant matter is dried and crushed is actually a huge contributor to the kinds of effects that the resulting product has for the user. Some Kratom farmers will immediately bring the harvested Kratom leaves indoors for dark drying, while others will rely on the sun to do the job. Still others will use hybridized methods of drying…all of these processes yield Kratom strains with unique alkaloid profiles.]
As incredible as the Kratom plant is and as helpful as it can be for overall enhancement of well-being, it is not without some controversy. Because of the powerful effects that are felt by many who take Kratom, the plant has earned the label of ‘Controlled Substance’ in some countries.
For example, as of the publishing of this guide, Kratom is banned in the following US states:
- Rhode Island
…as well as in San Diego, California and in Sarasota County, Florida. There are also parts of Illinois, Mississippi, Colorado, and New Hampshire where either the sale or use of Kratom is considered illegal by local governments.
The legal status of Kratom in the United States is ever-evolving, so be absolutely sure you know about the Kratom laws where you live before making a purchase either online or otherwise.
Most people take Kratom in powder form. This is to say, they mix it into a beverage and drink it down.
However, there is more than one way to get the Kratom plant alkaloids (which we’ll discuss in a moment) into your system.
Generally speaking, Kratom comes in four formats:
- Crushed leaf. Crushed leaf Kratom is exactly what it sounds like: crushed leaves from the Kratom tree. This format of Kratom is rarely used, as powders tend to be easier for the body to absorb. However, some Kratom users prefer crushed leaf Kratom because they can use it as part of strained brew, almost like how you’d make hot tea with tea leaves.
- Powder. Kratom powder is made by pulverizing the leaves of the Kratom tree. This results in an ultra-fine, easily mixed substance that is dried completely before it is packaged for distribution. At Kratom Gator, we supply not only standard-ground Kratom but nano ground Kratom, a Kratom format that is even more soluble and absorbable by the body.
People love buying Kratom in powder form because they can determine their own dosages, and because the cost is generally lower than most other formats.
- Pills and capsules. For those who want more discretion and less mess, Kratom pills and capsules are a great alternative. Although the price-per-gram is slightly higher due to the added manufacturing step, Kratom pills and capsules provide enhanced convenience and easier portability.
- Extracts. Kratom extracts do exist. However, they’re typically used by people who already have an extensive understanding of how they respond to use of the Kratom plant. It’s not advisable to use Kratom extracts if you’re new to this herb, but they can come in handy as a way to ‘switch hit’ for routine doses over time.
We often get asked if Kratom can be used as an ingredient in recipes. The answer is yes!
Kratom can be mixed into many of your favorite foods like smoothies, yogurt, garnishes, and more. However, because the active plant alkaloids in Kratom can start to break down when subjected to temperatures above 140 degrees Fahrenheit, it’s not normally used in baking or high-heat cooking.
One of the most common questions most new Kratom users have is, “How much do I take?”.
The correct answer is going to vary slightly for everyone, but a good reference to use as a starting dose is about 2.5 grams, or a level teaspoon of dry Kratom powder.
Some people respond well to even smaller doses, like 1-2 grams. Those with more body mass are going to naturally need more Kratom to feel the effects that someone smaller might feel with just a single-teaspoon dose.
At Kratom Gator, we tell our customers to start low and go slow if they are new to Kratom. So, begin with a single teaspoon and go from there. While Kratom is generally safe for most people to use regularly, it’s not something you should take more than twice a day (at 2.5 grams per dose).
Learn the “Toss and Wash”
We mentioned earlier that Kratom powder can easily be mixed into a beverage before consuming. However, not everyone enjoys the taste of Kratom enough to drink it as part of a tea. Instead, some Kratom users prefer the ‘Toss and Wash’ method, which involves the following steps:
- Measure out your Kratom powder dose.
- Pour into a glass two or three swallows-worth of your favorite beverage.
- ‘Toss’ the Kratom into your mouth.
- Take a sip of your beverage and allow the Kratom to mix with it.
- Take another sip or two to cleanse your palate.
- You’re done!
The Toss and Wash is fast and efficient, and even though you will taste the Kratom, the dosing procedure is fast enough that you’ll hardly be affected by the taste.
Kratom has effects that can be quite subjective for each user. Also, the strain of Kratom being taken can have effects that are unique to it.
Granting these variables, there are some broad categories of Kratom effects that most users can expect when taking it for the first time. These include:
- Enhanced overall well-being
- Improved feelings of calmness or tranquility
- Honed focus
- Increased optimism or positivity
- Better ability to manage life stressors
If you’ve never taken Kratom before, we suggest starting with a conservatively-sized dose and waiting at least 45 minutes to an hour to gauge the effects. After that, you can experiment with other strains and dosages to find the ‘sweet spot’ that works best for you.
…and that’s it! Now, you know the fundamentals of Kratom use.
Ready to get started by choosing a high-quality, affordably priced Kratom strain from our line-up of premium Kratom Products? Head over to the Kratom Gator homepage and start browsing our strains.
Alternatively, if you need guidance on selecting a specific Kratom product, feel free to reach out to us via our contact page. We love engaging with new customers!
At Kratom Gator, our mission is to become the internet’s go-to source for high-quality, potent, clean Kratom products that can be relied on to enhance life, reduce stress, and improve overall health and wellness.
One reply on “The Beginner’s Guide to Taking Kratom”
dude awesome guide this helped a lot thanks